On-demand and autonomous inspection and claims
Dave was excited - it was finally time to get his driver's license. He couldn't wait enjoy the independence that owning a car brings, from driving out to meet friends to long road trips to distant cities without needing someone to take him.
Shortly thereafter, he was heading home from a night at the movies. A block away, while sat at a stop sign, he felt a sudden jolt from behind; someone had rear-ended his car, and hard. Like any of us, he began panicking -- "What do I do now?"
Driving is likely the most dangerous thing most of us will ever do, and we often do it on a daily basis. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are more than 30,000 deaths and over 2 million injuries from motor vehicle crashes in the U.S. every year. While you can always do your best to drive defensively and responsibly, you can't control what other people do, and in case of a collision, you need to know what to do.
How AI can help
One of the most useful facts of life in the smartphone era is that now virtually all of us carries a camera in their pockets at all times. Apart from this creating a surprising decrease in the number of Bigfoot and Loch Ness Monster sightings, it also means that in the event of a car accident we can all immediately take photos of the damage -- and many of us do. 42% of policyholders use mobile apps to submit photos and videos related to claims, inspection, and evaluation of their autos and homes. These photos can then be reviewed by human analysts, but this process can also be automated through AI, and often more accurately. Clarifai helps make these apps smarter with AI, and we help insurance companies stay on the cutting edge with AI models that learn from their real customer data.
There are a few ways that Clarifai can help automate the process of P&C claims:
- Guided First Notice of Loss (FNOL) - Make it easy for customers to understand how to submit their claims. Provide real-time feedback so that customers know if they have submitted the correct photos needed for filing. By using image classification, insurance companies can guide customers through the claims initiation process, and automatically detect if a customer has submitted the correct photos needed for filing their claim (front view, side view, etc).
- Automatic damage detection - Speed up the claims process by automatically detecting and classifying images of auto and property damage. Pre-label images submitted during the claims process with AI. We can automatically detect and classify images of auto damage, and pre-label the images submitted by customers.
- Intelligent triage and estimating - Deliver the fastest and most accurate claims experience. Once the damage is detected and categorized, the damage is compared against carrier historical data, business rules, and normalized repair index to determine total loss.
- Automated inspection and valuation - Instantly evaluate the condition, features, and value of a vehicle or piece of property. With just a few images you can guide your customers through inspections, with no in-person visit required. Property features can even be identified from aerial photographs.
- By relying on Clarifai's technology, P&C insurers will not have to leverage any knowledge of DevOps or MLOps, and can enjoy "one-click" deployment of AI with extremely fast model deployment. This leads to substantial savings in not having to build and maintain AI models themselves.
- Attract new customers by adding an easy-to-use self-service model where people can easily snap photos themselves to be used for claims and get immediate responses. Fewer frustration means less turnover and more love from customers.
- Charge the right rates and reduce loss reserves with custom image classification. Our models are easily customized to complement business rules and historical data.
- Lower risk by improving the objectivity of the claims process. AI models perform in predictable ways with biases and error rates that can be understood before models are deployed, unlike human claims adjusters who can be affected by well, human factors such as mood or tiredness.
- Improve the accuracy of the claims process. Computer vision AI can learn from your real customer data and exceed human accuracy over time.
Car accidents are an often inevitable and awful part of life; however, with Clarifai's automated P&C AI technology, insurance customers can at least alleviate the financial stresses that they cause in a fast, effective, and more reliable way.